Etymology of KnightswoodDiscover the origins of the name for this unique development.
The Knights were In Ireland at some point before or by 1177, which is when the first reference to Templars in Ireland, a charter granted to ‘Matthew the Templar’ dates to. Crook is one of the two very first estates they were granted, with Kilbarry following closely behind.
The Templars were founded in Jerusalem in 1118 (between the first and second crusades) , of course with the support of the French King, and were officially recognised by Rome in 1130.
By the rules of the order, they were forbidden from killing another Christian. Due to Ireland being a Christian country, they saw no action here and could fight only in self-defense if necessary, so Ireland was used primarily for one of three reasons:
- As a sort of retirement home for knights who had seen action in Jerusalem but were now too elderly to fight.
- For feudal farming/ tenancy, in order to support the knights who lived there and raise money for the cause.
- For recruiting young soldiers for action in the holy land (the Irish were involved in the third crusade).
As Williamstown is close to the city (and certainly closer than Crook) it would have been perfect for recruitment. It was almost certainly a larger centre of operation than its neighbour at Crook because of this proximity. The Irish holdings made for very profitable farmland for the knights, making them up to £400 per year.
Share your details for a place you'll want to call home
The holdings in Kilbarry would have consisted of some estates for farming, the church of St. Finbarr which they took possession of on their arrival, a small collection of houses big enough to be termed a ‘vill’ by the charter of Henry II, a possible moated farmstead, and a substantial building known as ‘the monastery’ which would have acted as a dormitory for the substantial Templar community living in the area.
After the order was suppressed in 1308, all Irish holdings were transferred to their rivals, the Knights Hospitaller, including the Waterford estates.